Friday, 15 August 2014

Some background information about me

I am a language teacher from Finland with an MEd and MA. I’ve been teaching English as a Foreign Language for a long time, for various levels, for pupils and students aged anything between 5 to 75. I’ve done most part of my EFL work in upper secondary schools. Some years ago I fulfilled my long-time dream of becoming a Finnish as a Second Language teacher, which is what I do presently. I'm also a qualified primary school teacher. I can truly say that I love teaching and learning.

For about two years, along with teaching EFL, I taught illiterate immigrant stay-at-home mothers with small children. The main focus was to teach the students to read and write, and of course, to improve their conversational skills. In autumn 2014 our school started a new programme which goes under the name of  instruction for preparing for basic education (aikuisten perusopetukseen valmistava opetus). It is a programme aimed at young immigrants aged between 17 to 25 who have arrived in Finland without a school leaving certificate from their home countries, and need to improve their Finnish skills as well as understanding of Finnish society. Presently I am working as their tutor and language teacher. This work is a dream come true since it allows me to combine my educational background on pedagogy, language studies, psychology and communication as well my work history with learners of all ages and backgrounds.

In addition to this, I’ve been quite active in developing our school’s online and distance learning courses and figuring out how to equip our students with the 21st century learning skills. I am thrilled by the opportunities the technology has brought and keeps bringing to learning and particularly to language learning. My goal is to encourage my students to become lifelong learners through authentic and meaningful learning experiences. Needless to say, I'm a lifelong learner myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment